Sunday, April 19, 2009

How good is The World of Goo? Pretty darn good.

*
I'm not much of a computer/game platform player, I'm more a logic puzzle person. The last games I completely finished on my own were Myst, Riven, and I loved Time Lapse.

My sons tried to get me to play Gran Turismo but I kept running into things, spinning around, driving off cliffs and into oncoming traffic. I wasn't doing it on purpose either, I just couldn't race. I would start laughing so hard while trying to play I had tears streaming down my face and then I'd just get worse. I wouldn't even be able to see the screen clearly which would make me laugh even more. Needless to say they gave up on me.

I also tried to play Tomb Raider because along with the action there are problems and puzzles to solve as you progress through the game. Alas right in the beginning you have to defeat wolves in order to actually get into the tomb to explore and I was killed every single time (I laugh a lot trying to play things like that). Once I got inside but then I was continually killed by a very angry bear. I gave up. I'll never make a quick enough shooter for those types of games. I did get to help on the puzzles parts though which I enjoyed.


My favorite interactive game of all time is still The Neverhood put out by Dreamworks with clay scenery and creatures.




I loved every minute of that game and Klaymen rocked! As I said before I love puzzles. Neverhood's claymation was wonderful and there hasn't been any other games that could come close to it. The background music was fantastic and refreshingly different too. I think there's actually a Neverhood cd of the music.


At best I sit watching others play through things like Silent Hill, Diablo, Halo and whatever game is the current one being played around the house in marathon fashion.

I stick to CSI type games where speed and dexterity isn't necessarily going to win the game it's thinking and piecing things together that saves (or solves) the day so to speak.

At any rate, I was given this game "The World of Goo" by 2d Boy for my mac and told I'd probably like it. It won a number of awards for best game so figured I'd see what it was like. I tentatively poked at it and found it became rather addicting. Some of the "levels" are hard and require some trial and error before you figure it out and I'm not great at physics of building bridges and things but it was fun and kept changing as you went. It's fun and doesn't hate you when you fail... you can redo, skip a little around, and there's no time run down to stress you out.

The creatures (Goo) are unique and make little noises. There really isn't any dialogue. The attributes of the Goo changes in different places and it's fun to figure out what you have to do to progress along. Even I wished it was a much longer game so I imagine a real gamer who spends hours playing something would be done with it much faster than I was. I only worked on one or at most two puzzles at a time. This is a great interactive, people friendly game and quite interesting. It's rated E for everyone though I don't know that really young folk would be able to do some of the levels. The background music/ambience grows on you and the goo well it kind of giggles for lack of a better word. My only complaint was that the end came too soon and was a bit anti climatic but I still liked it.






Again I'm not a gamer by a long shot but "World of Goo" was a lot of fun and not terribly expensive at all. Kindof like a wild version of living tinkertoys. You can download a free level or two online if you want to check it out at:
World of Goo game

I'm working on a game now on the Nintendo DS I borrow from Charl sometimes called "Broken Sword Shadow of the Templars." It will likely take me a while since I rarely have the time or desire to play for longer than an hour here or there.
Try the World of Goo, it's worth the time!

G'night,

Laura

No comments: