Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Why did Jon Stewart allow Jason Jones to go quite so far to create laughter at the expense of the elderly?

*
Jon Stewart is usually laugh out loud funny. I don’t get my news commentary from him as he picks his stories along different interests than I do. In all fairness I’m not a die-hard fan like many are. It’s only recently that I’ve been watching him more consistently though I rarely get to every episode. Jon is clever, intelligent, sarcastic and reasonably liberal from what I can tell and usually he’s a pretty funny comedian. I wasn’t crazy about the Mad Money Jim Cramer show as most were. Yes, I’m upset about the banks and stock market like everyone else but I didn’t think Stewart was an investigative reporter and the venue made me uncomfortable. Oh yes, Jon got ‘im and he deserved it, but as far as I could tell that was about as hard as shooting fish in a barrel and was way too long.

I for one was happy when Jon went back to being the funny guy that keeps track of the nonsense in politics that we all know and really appreciate. Then there was the show on April 9, 2009 where Jason Jones took an awkward and not all that terribly funny look at the rise in STDs among Florida's senior citizens in his segment. I rolled my eyes a bit and was annoyed by the blatant stereotyping that went on throughout the bit. I’m fairly tolerant of things that I don’t agree with but I found this skit relatively condescending and unfair though I’m sure many people would disagree with me (including Jon I expect). Did the elderly somehow deserve a takedown like Cramer or Carlson? I suppose everyone is fair game eh?


This country doesn’t place a great value on the elderly. They are often portrayed as ditsy or angry people that are tolerated rather than valued for being wise. They are made fun of because of failing health. Punch lines for erectile dysfunction, memory loss or bladder control jokes. They are portrayed often as less useful as the younger, prettier, healthier, smarter, more tolerant folk. (Complete balderdash)

All of which is simply a complaint of mine with a lot of television: so I didn’t like the skit and that’s fine. I knew it would be over soon and the show would move on. Unfortunately The Daily Show closed with Jason Jones doing an obnoxious parody of the seduction scene from “The Graduate”

Jon:
You chose to end the show with Jason Jones filmed through the leg of what we are to assume is an elderly woman similar to that famous shot from "The Graduate." Not the typical moments of zen you normally end the show with. Jason Jones, your stooping that low was disappointing but Jon, it’s your show and your approval stamp. The skit was enough without the last thing we were to hear on your show:
"Mrs. Rubenstein you're trying to nauseate me... aren't you?" (looking ill and making a drawn out sick sound) "Oooooohhh.... What is that?"

I’m sorry Jon but it was tasteless. Maybe appropriate for a different forum but not where you want to be seen as a politically relevant man with a show that is a valuable venue as well as making important points through comedy. It seems sometimes that you have trouble deciding just where you fit in. Comedy, political satire, interviewer of interesting authors, statesmen and actors, or… something else?

Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz, you owe my mother an apology and probably your own too.

Suddenly I find myself more interested in whether or not Stephen Colbert gets a space node named after him.

G’night,

Laura


*

No comments: