Sunday, January 25, 2009

The countdowns are over. What's the story with Paterson?

*
I said I wasn’t surprised that Paterson picked Kirsten Gillibrand previously.
However that doesn’t mean I agree with his choice.
First off she’s fairly conservative for a democrat, well ok so that’s not the end of the world.
But she’s not a strong backer of gay rights and is endorsed by the NRA, and quite a bit of the unknown to the rest of the state.
When Kennedy dropped out it seemed from what Patterson said that he was almost pre-determined to pick a woman to replace Hillary.


Now I may be totally off base here but if it was me was making the choice, I would have chose Cuomo so that he definitely didn’t run against me for the governership. After all Paterson is in an odd position himself being a result of the Spitzer disaster. Now he’s alienated a lot of democrats and I have no idea why he would do that intentionally. Who was advising him I wonder?
There are certainly people that don’t like Gillibrand and will run against her in 2010 and she may be a strong candidate in a more republican area of upstate running as a conservative democrat but… can she really fly in an election over the whole state? She’ll be challenged by at least one other woman and Cuomo would beat her hands down if he doesn’t decide to take out Paterson instead.

What a weird drawn out mess Paterson turned the appointing of one senator into.
Drama, drama.
Kennedy should have stayed out of it and taken time to cultivate her possible entrance into politics.
But she didn’t.
Paterson should not have taken so long and then seem to quickly pick out of a hat.
But he didn’t.


I wonder who Hillary Clinton would have picked for her successor? Hmm.

Oh well, nobody checks these things with me. lol. What the hell would I know?

G'night,

Laura


*

No comments: