Friday, January 2, 2009

Eighteen days till GW disappears into the woodwork... or the promise of a brand New year.

*

I'd be happier with the start of 2009 if I didn't have such a crummy cold.
Not that I can remember anytime remotely recent going out for New Year's Eve but damn this was sooo boring.
cough, cough, sputter, UGH. Watched the ball go down in NYC on TV by myself.
Yay!! Happy New Year!!! ::sigh::
At least I feel a little better today, thankful of the little things.

So I've kept myself from going completely crazy by watching Season 3, 4 and 5 of Miami Vice on a free trial of NetFlix.
Finished it up today. In between coughing, hot tea, ginger ale, soup, I was watching either a news program or Crockett and Tubbs. The guest appearances are fun. Many of them are still around today except much older.
The cars: to die for. The people all pretty. The music often awesome.

I'm struck by the obvious things that we don't see that much of in men's clothing these days: puffy shirts, pastel colors and linen, linen and more linen jackets, pants and shirts. With the occasional crazy silk shirts. Lack of socks.

But something I'd never noticed before Crockett and Tubbs both had incredibly manicured nails.
Looked like they never put in a hard days work there. Perfect clean, buffed hands and nails.
Don't know why this surprised me, since hair and make up was prime on that series.
Don Johnson and his perfectly coiffed uh, for the most part mullet.
Yea, some things just never seem to go away culturally no matter how we wish it would.

The three ring circus that is our political system continues on...
Can't believe the Madoff mess. Shouldn't have happened. Still want to deregulate everything?
Self regulation seems to be going so well. Somebody could have done something about this but didn't.
Haven't got a lot of faith in the system at large at all anymore. Yay, rah, unfettered capitalism!

Sorry, I'm starting to cough a lot again and I'm going to pack it in now.

G'night
Stay warm and safe,

Laura

*

No comments: