Wednesday, November 5, 2008

President elect Barack Obama. Next day feelings from a woman in NY.

*

I'll begin by saying that both McCain and Obama gave fantastic speeches last night.
Both were sincere and both showed grace from opposite sides of the election result.
I'm truly glad that we didn't have to listen to Biden or Palin last night. It's not about them anymore for now.

For someone like me that stood up for a more moderate and yes, a more accepting, inclusive, liberal outlook on the world, this was a historic night.
While I'm thrilled with the Obama/Biden win, I do feel a tug at my heart that this was not the time for a female leader.
I voted for Obama/Biden because I am a woman, because I feel they will protect my rights as a woman and create a more moderate, inclusive government.
McCain/Palin won't represent my beliefs. They are too conservative.
I've stood for human rights all my life, ALL people's rights.

I stood along with other women for equal pay for equal work, for access to birth control, for legal rights and the right to choose.

I love the diversity of our country. The ethnicity, colors, and voices of all of our people. I cherish our freedoms, our rights, our democracy.
New York city is the image of the country I envision, the wonderful patchwork of movement and people.
I realize others see it differently and I respect that. I do not see a "real" America nor an "elitist" one.
We need to work together as a nation to seek a better future for all
of us.

I remember the extreme prejudices of the past, the marches on Washington, The loss of the lives of many good men in the cause for true equality and justice. People of all colors, sex, age and ethnicity stood together, sometimes for the first time ever.

I remember the split the Vietnam war brought to our country. The anger on both sides. I know you can be vehemently against a war and both love your country and totally support the young men that are sent to risk their lives in support of it's military actions.

I believe that gay people should have the same rights that "straight" people have across the board. I know many don't share that view.

This is truly historic and exciting. An amazingly dynamic time for our country; we are poised to change our future, to strengthen our place in the world.
Can we do it? I want to believe we can. I have Hope once again, I have a dream now too, and I think "Yes, yes, we can."

This is not a total mandate, I've lived long enough to know that nothing is ever cast totally in stone.
No, the future won't be easy, there will be many problems to face along the path, both expected and unexpected...
Kudos to the young people of this nation who actually DID get out and vote en masse this time.
For many of the young see the world as more diverse and varied than many of their older generation counterparts.

But today I believe with all my heart that we are a better people.

*****
There were some things that were interesting along with the election:

Unfortunately (to me anyway) it seems California will repeal the rights of gay couples to marry in that state. A loss of rights there, that could effect new initiatives in other states.

Michigan is now the thirteenth state to legalize medical marijuana.

Massachusetts has decriminalized small amounts of marijuana by 65%
yes, 35% no.

Michelle Bachmann of Minnesota was reelected. I really don't get that
at all.

Still can't see Al Franken as senator, but there will be a recount.
Coleman has the edge.

Washington state joined Oregon passing a right to die with dignity
bill allowing for lethal dose for patients with short time to live.

There are other items, but I'm way too tired and desperately need
sleep.

Au revoir

*

No comments: