Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Forty-two days left of George W Bush... and I'm baking pies while listening to the news.

*

Well, today's news story on constant re-play is of course the governor from Chicago Rod Blagojevich who was arrested on federal corruption charges. Supposedly he wanted to sell off the senate seat that was left open by Barack Obama for his own financial gain. Of course I'm a bit of a cynic (oh all right I'm a huge cynic) and I think many politicians use their political positions for their own gain (travel, trinkets, influence, donations) but seriously this doesn't even really make sense to me. How stupid can you be? Obviously though the governor makes the decision a lot of input comes from the party and elsewhere.
And having phone conversations about the fact... didn't anyone learn from Monica Lewinski's Linda Tripp recorded conversations?
Did John Edwards really think he could have had an affair (and a child?) and win the nomination for the presidency without anyone finding out about it? What a mess THAT would have been. People talk... Think of Clinton, Gary Hart, even Gingrich's behavior.
I'm starting to think politicians are a dumb lot, not all of them of course but... seriously idiotic behavior considering.
Jeeze, don't they get the concept of "being in the public eye?"

If there's a special election to fill Obama's seat instead of an appointment I wonder if there's a strong democrat to win it.
Not familiar with Illinois politicians and I'm sure the republicans would love to gain that seat. We'll see how they handle it.

Steve Colbert was on Conan O'Brien last night and did the "In the year 2000" piece with him. Funny.

Tonight I've been very busy. The next few days I'm baking things for early Christmas gifts and to try out a couple of recipes.
So, here's a few photos to explain why this post is not all that long.
One pie is for us, one for my mom. Was disappointed by how the crusts cracked but house smelled so yummy.
Had a piece with my hot tea just now and it was good. Apple Raspberry!
All that stuff taking up residence on my kitchen table until tomorrow night will turn into Christmas cookies tomorrow...







So forgive me if I have a few short posts here and there but holiday cheer requires me to put in some time baking!

G'night
Doesn't seem like 2009 will bring peace on earth and good will to all.
But you could say that I'm a dreamer, and I'm not the only one : )

Laura

*

No comments: