Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Politics of a stolen wallet... Eight days till E-Day.

*

Well, Alaskan Senator Ted Stevens was found guilty on seven counts for corruption.
He announced that he's still going to run for the senate regardless and fight the verdict.
Will he get jail time? Maybe, maybe not... up to the judge.
Glad to see someone being found guilty of something these days in politics.
Perhaps this will allow his challenger Mark Begich (Dem) an edge in the election.

*

I read that they found Jennifer Hudson's nephew's body inside a SUV in Chicago.
This is a terrible thing after her mother and brother were found murdered on Friday.
I can't imagine what pain she's going through. It's so sad.
Why is this such a violent society? And why are there so many gun related homicides in this country?
I know when you bring up gun control of any sort everyone gets all constitutional on you, but...
Seriously.

I know the stock market wasn't as bad as it could have been today.
Which I suppose should be a good thing but the way it's been up and down I don't feel all that comforted.

*

So I'm really out of sorts and working on a wicked headache. Why?
This afternoon in Starbucks my wallet was stolen. I suppose it was my fault because I allowed myself to be distracted and set it down on a counter top. I walked to a nearby table and set my computer bag down on it. As I walked back towards the counter my coffee was ready. I picked up a napkin and a stirrer (they put in my sugar since I'm a regular) all the while watching my bag and table. I guess I should have been paying attention to where I put my wallet. I was there happily typing on a chapter I'm working on for about 2 hours. I never moved from my table. I never even went to the bathroom. I packed up when I was done editing and went out to the car. Went to take out my wallet and realized I didn't have it. Went right back in looked around spoke to the people working. Also checked the garbage cans and bathrooms. Gone.

Now the local Starbucks isn't all that busy this time of the year and not too many folk came in but there was a steady number. I didn't pay attention to them as when I'm typing the outside world tends to recede from my awareness. I called the police and filed a report. Also filled out a Starbucks incident form. They have cameras but they are set at the registers and don't cover every bit of the counters. Unfortunately for me they can't look at them until a few days from now because all the managers are at some kind of convention in New Orleans(?) and only the manager can access the recording system. Figures doesn't it?

My day wasn't going well. I had gone to the ATM nearby before to take out money to get gas, coffee and a few groceries. Most of the time I only have between $5 and $25 dollars in my wallet on any given day. But today? Nope. I had about $80 dollars in my wallet and I never have that kind of money sitting in my wallet. That's really killing me too. Don't have it to waste. My son gave me back $25 dollars I paid him to mow the lawn. ::sigh::

Maybe to you that amount of money is chicken feed, but not to me. When I got home we went through the fun of trying to figure out the things that were in my wallet. Like my driver's license, credit cards, BJ's card, Health Ins card, ATM card and an assortment of other things like AARP membership, Best Buy, Library and I'm sure there are other things I have forgotten. Most missed are the photos of my four kids and family together. I also had a four leaf clover I found and laminated when I was around 10 years old. I've carried it in whatever wallet I had for over 40 years now. Well, not any more.

Cancelled all the cards, will get a new NYS license soon as I can.
I guess I'll have to drive to motor vehicles without my license to get a new temporary license.
I'd normally say what would the chance of being pulled over without it, but after today, I really don't know...
Will go to Police station and get a copy of the report tomorrow and take it with me I guess.
I suppose now I need to worry about identity theft.

I'd mix myself a stiff drink but I all ready have a headache and would rather take an advil.

*

So for today although I spent the evening catching up on news and listening to information.
My heart's just not in it tonight.

I'll likely feel better tomorrow.
So until then-
Sleep well.
Except for the person that stole my wallet.
You can toss and turn, but you probably won't, you'll sleep fine.
After all you had a small windfall today.
I had a loss.

I realize it's technically Tuesday because I'm late posting. Sorry.

G'night,

Laura


*

No comments: